Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By bluecross
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that the Seven Apparitions which the Medjugorje Commission has endorsed is probably a reference to the first seven days of the phenomenon and the taped interviews with the visionaries.

There is a transcript of these interviews, or at least 22 of them, that were carried out during the first week, published by Fr James Mulligan in his book, Medjugorje: The First Days. I have a copy and highly recommend it. It’s available via the link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/MEDJUG ... 1490389083
Medjugorje: The First Days – written and compiled by James Mulligan, a Roman Catholic priest serving in the Archdiocese of Westminster in London – presents a very detailed chronological account of the Medjugorje phenomenon as it unfolded over the crucial first few days. Meticulous research has resulted in a graphic and absorbing account of the beginning of the claimed apparitions of Our Lady of Medjugorje.

The book contains, for the first time in any language, a full, un-redacted transcript of 22 tape recorded interviews and on-the-spot commentaries with the visionaries. The interviews and commentaries were recorded during the first week of the apparitions and the transcripts provide quite compelling evidence which strongly points to the authenticity of the Medjugorje phenomenon. The book is lavishly illustrated with many never before published photos.

The basis of this first account of the first seven days of the claimed apparitions at Medjugorje is the transcription of the translation from Croatian of 22 tape-recorded interviews/on-the-spot commentaries with the alleged visionaries. All the recordings were completed within the first seven days of the alleged apparitions and provide invaluable source material.

The recordings were carried out by the Franciscan priests of Medjugorje – mainly the parish priest, Fr Jozo Zovko – and by a parishioner, Grgo Kozina. The bulk of the recordings were confiscated by the Yugoslav State Security Police when they raided the Medjugorje parish rectory on August 17, 1981, but fortunately copies have been made. These copies have found their way all around the world and only now has the opportunity come to have them all collected.

Snippets of transcriptions from these recordings have been published sporadically – but this is the first time that all the material has been collated, translated and published. In 1988 a Medjugorje-born Franciscan priest, the late Fr Ivo Sivric, who was then living in Canada, published, translated a substantial tranche of the recordings into French, in his book La face cache de Medjugorje. This was a valiant attempt, and his translation is basically sound, but Fr Sivric was hindered by a large amount of the material being missing and was also frequently flummoxed, it seems, by the modern day terms and the colloquial expressions of the young visionaries.

These transcriptions are a treasure from many angles. They provide a very graphic, on-the-spot- description of those fast-moving, unprecedented events of June 1981, and they leave the reader in no doubt of the absolute conviction of the young visionaries that are seeing Our Lady. As might be expected in the ad hoc and un-choreographed manner in which the recordings took place, there are some moments of confusion – but such moments are rare and there is a remarkable consistency and coherence to the visionaries’ narration of events.

The steadfast conviction of these young people that are seeing the Blessed Virgin Mary shines through against the backdrop of outright hostility from the Communist State authorities and the scepticism, at the time, of the Franciscan priests in the Medjugorje parish, and points strongly to the authenticity of Medjugorje.
By maryannlucy
When the secrets start to occur, they (Vatican) will just have to adjust their decision because the Blessed Virgin didn't tell the seers about the secrets during the first seven apparitions. I wondered why Mirjana decided to publish her memoir out of the blue last year. Maybe she knew the time was near.
By leo daly
I've posted below, the first 9 apparitions. I'm presuming the 24th doesn't count as Our Lady asked that the 25th be the anniversary.
Interesting to note that on the 8th, they thought the apparitions had ended and didn't go to meet Her, but She came to them.

(1) Thursday, June 25, 1981
The date of the first apparition for the group of six visionaries, who see Our Lady nearby on the hill: Our Lady says: "Praised be Jesus!"

Ivanka: Where is my mother? (Her mother had died two months previously.) "She is happy. She is with me."

The visionaries: Will you return tomorrow? The apparition answers with a nod of her head.

Mirjana: No one will believe us. They will say that we are crazy. Give us a sign! The apparition responds only with a smile. Mirjana believed she had received a sign. Her watch had changed time during the apparition.
"Goodbye, my angels. Go in the peace of God."

(2) Friday, June 26, 1981
In the presence of a crowd of 2,000 to 3,000 people, drawn there by the luminary signs coming from the hill of the apparitions, Vicka sprinkles the apparition with Holy Water and says: If you are the Gospa, stay with us, if not, go away. The apparition only smiles.

Ivanka: Why have you come here? What do you desire?
"I have come because there are many true believers here. I wish to be with you to convert and to reconcile the whole world."

Ivanka: Did my mother say anything?
"Obey your grandmother and help her because she is old."

Mirjana: How is my grandfather? (He had recently died.) "He is well."

The visionaries, on a request from the crowd: Give us a sign which will prove your presence. "Blessed are those who have not seen and who believe."

Mirjana: Who are you? "I am the Most Blessed Virgin Mary."

Why are you appearing to us? We are not better than others.
"I do not necessarily choose the best."

Will you come back? "Yes, to the same place as yesterday."

On returning to the village after the apparition, Marija sees the Virgin again, in tears, near a cross with rainbow colors:
"Peace, Peace, Peace! Be reconciled! Only Peace. Make your peace with God and among yourselves. For that, it is necessary to believe, to pray, to fast, and to go to confession."

(3) Saturday, June 27, 1981
"Praised be Jesus!"

Jakov: What do you expect of our Franciscans?
"Have them persevere in the faith and protect the faith of others."

Jakov and Mirjana: Leave us a sign because the people treat us as liars.
"My angels, do not be afraid of injustice. It has always existed."

The visionaries: How must we pray?
"Continue to recite 7 Our Father's and 7 Hail Mary's and Glory Be's, but also add the Creed. Goodbye, my angels. Go in the peace of God."

To Ivan, aside from the others: "Be in peace and take courage."
(Ivan said: What a beautiful smile when she left me.)

(4) Sunday, June 28, 1981
The visionaries: What do you wish?
"That people believe and persevere in the faith."

Vicka: What do you expect from the priests?
"That they remain strong in the faith and that they help you."

Why don't you appear to everyone in church?
"Blessed are they who believe without having seen."

Will you come back? "Yes, to the same place."

Do you prefer prayer or singing? "Both, praying and singing."

Vicka: What do you wish from the crowd which has gathered here? The visionaries said this question received no response except for a glance filled with love, and Our Lady's smile. Then Our Lady disappeared. The visionaries prayed so that she might return because she had not said: Goodbye, my angels. During their song, You Are All Beautiful, she reappears.

Vicka: Dear Gospa, what do you expect of this people? She repeated the question three times and finally was given this answer:
"That those who do not see believe as those who see."

Vicka: Will you leave us a sign so that people believe that we are not liars or comedians? No other response, only a smile. "Go in the peace of God", She said, as she disappeared.

(5) Monday, June 29, 1981
The visionaries: Dear Gospa, are you happy to see so many people here today? "More than happy." (She smiles, writes Vicka).

How long will you stay with us? "As long as you will want me to, my angels."

What do you expect of the people who have come in spite of the brambles and the heat? "There is only one God, one faith. Let the people believe firmly and do not fear anything."

What do you expect of us?
"That you have a solid faith and that you maintain confidence."

Will we know how to endure persecutions, which will come to us because of you?
"You will be able to, my angels. Do not fear. You will be able to endure everything. You must believe and have confidence in me."

Here Vicka writes a question from Dr. Darinka Glamuzina: May I touch Our Lady? She gives this response:
"There have always been Doubting Thomas's, but she can approach."

Vicka shows her where to stretch out her hand. Darinka tries to touch her. Our Lady disappears, and then reappears in her light.

The parents of a three-year-old child, Daniel Setka, who had suffered from septicemia since the fourth day of his birth, asked the visionaries to intercede for the handicapped child. Dear Gospa, is little Daniel going to speak some day? Cure him so that they all will believe us. These people love you very much, dear Gospa. Perform a miracle. Dear Gospa, say something. They repeated this petition and conveyed the response:
"Have them believe strongly in his cure. Go in the peace of God."

The Hidden Phase
(Jun 30, 1981 To Dec 31, 1981)

During this period, Our Lady appeared to the visionaries in hidden places, away from the police patrols that were trying to track them down.

(6) Tuesday, June 30, 1981
Apparition at Cerno. Mirjana: Are you angry that we were not on the hill?
"That doesn't matter."

Would you be angry if we would not return any longer to the hill, but we would wait in the church? "Always at the same time. Go in the peace of God."

On that day, Mirjana thought that she understood that the Gospa would return for three more days, until Friday. But it was only her interpretation.

(7) Thursday, July 2, 1981
Jakov: Dear Gospa, leave us a sign. The Virgin seemed to consent with a nod: "Goodbye, my dear angels."

(8) Saturday, July 4, 1981
The visionaries believe the apparitions had ended, but Our Lady appeared to each one of them separately, where he or she was. No message was preserved.

(9) Tuesday, July 21, 1981
(Vicka's diary - 27th apparition, 6:30pm)
Just like every day, we spoke with the Gospa. She arrived at 6:30pm, and greeted us: "Praised be Jesus!"

Then we asked her if she would give us a sign. She said yes. Then we asked her how much longer she would still continue to visit us. The Blessed Virgin responded:
"My sweet angels, even if I were to leave the sign, many people will not believe. Many people will only come here and bow down. But people must be converted and do penance."

Then we questioned her on the subject of the sick. For some, the Gospa said that they would be cured only if their faith was strong, and for others, no. Then she prepared to depart. Upon leaving, she said to us:
"Go in the peace of God."