Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By TimHaley
It is written that the Blessed Mother informed the visionaries that through prayer and fasting, one can stop wars. Does anyone know of any other Catholic reference to stopping war or otherwise impacting external events through fasting? Perhaps a writing by a Saint or sermon by a Pope?
By Andy08
Tim,

This is from a book titled, Encountering Mary by Sandra L. Zimdars-Swartz. This is a great book. These paragraphs may answer your question as to has prayer or fasting ever stopped a war.
The book states,

“In the years before the tide of the war turned in favor of the Allies, Hocht (a Marian author), perceived several important Marian interventions. The bombing of Pearl Harbor, he noted, took place on December 6, 1941, and the US entered the war two days later, December 8. In Europe, at almost the same time, Hitler had been defeated on the Russian front and had to retreat on December 7. As Hocht, saw it the events both took place on the eve of December 8, which is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, which celebrates Mary’s victory over sin and Satan.”

“The turning point of the war in Europe was, according to Hocht, Pius XII’s consecration of the world to Mary’s Immaculate Heart on October 31, 1942. He noted that the Allied fleet had set sail on the previous evening, and that almost all major allied victories after this took place on Marian Festivals. Sicily was liberated on August 15, 1943, The Feast of the Assumption, and Italy had surrendered on September 8, 1943, the Feast of Mary’s Birthday. The Japanese surrendered on August 15, 1945 The Feast of the Assumption and signed the final pact 6 years later in San Francisco on (you guessed it) September 8, 1951, the Feast of Mary’s Birthday 6 years later.”
Andy
By OnASpiritualJourney2
I also found these Medjugorje messages in which the Blessed Mother specifically talks about prayer being needed to end war. These are from a site Pablobv referenced:

Our Lady of Medjugorje Messages containing 'war'
Total found: 6
Monthly Message, September 25, 2001 [O]
“Dear children! Also today I call you to prayer, especially today when Satan wants war and hatred. I call you anew, little children: pray and fast that God may give you peace. Witness peace to every heart and be carriers of peace in this world without peace. I am with you and intercede before God for each of you. And you do not be afraid because the one who prays is not afraid of evil and has no hatred in the heart. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

Reflection of message
Monthly Message, February 25, 1994 [O]
“Dear children! Today I thank you for your prayers. All of you have helped me so that this war may end as soon as possible. I am close to you and I pray for each one of you and I beg you: pray, pray, pray. Only through prayer can we defeat evil and protect all that Satan wants to destroy in your lives. I am your Mother and I love you all equally, and I intercede for you before God. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

Monthly Message, October 25, 1993 [O]
“Dear children! These years I have been calling you to pray, to live what I am telling you, but you are living my messages a little. You talk, but do not live, that is why little children, this war is lasting so long. I invite you to open yourselves to God and in your hearts to live with God, living the good and giving witness to my messages. I love you and wish to protect you from every evil, but you do not desire it. Dear children, I cannot help you if you do not live God's commandments, if you do not live the mass, if you do not give up sin. I invite you to be apostles of love and goodness. In this world of unrest give witness to God and God's love, and God will bless you and give you what you seek from Him. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

Monthly Message, March 25, 1993 [O]
“Dear children! Today like never I call you to pray for peace, for peace in your hearts, peace in your families and peace in the whole world, because Satan wants war, wants lack of peace, wants to destroy all which is good. Therefore, dear children, pray, pray, pray. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

Monthly Message, April 25, 1992 [O]
“Dear children! Today also I invite you to prayer. Only by prayer and fasting can war be stopped. Therefore, my dear little children, pray and by your life give witness that you are mine and that you belong to me, because Satan wishes in these turbulent days to seduce as many souls as possible. Therefore, I invite you to decide for God and He will protect you and show you what you should do and which path to take. I invite all those who have said "yes" to me to renew their consecration to my Son Jesus and to His Heart and to me so we can take you more intensely as instruments of peace in this unpeaceful world. Medjugorje is a sign to all of you and a call to pray and live the days of grace that God is giving you. Therefore, dear children, accept the call to prayer with seriousness. I am with you and your suffering is also mine. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

Monthly Message, December 25, 1991 [O]
“Dear children! Today in a special way I bring the little Jesus to you, that He may bless you with His blessing of peace and love. Dear children, do not forget that this is a grace which many people neither understand nor accept. Therefore, you who have said that you are mine, and seek my help, give all of yourself. First of all, give your love and example in your families. You say that Christmas is a family feast. Therefore, dear children, put God in the first place in your families, so that He may give you peace and may protect you not only from war, but also in peace protect you from every satanic attack. When God is with you, you have everything. But when you do not want Him, then you are miserable and lost, and you do not know on whose side you are. Therefore, dear children, decide for God. Then you will get everything. Thank you for having responded to my call. ”

I know this doesn't exactly answer your original question Tim, but I thought the messages were so beautiful and such a good reminder of who is behind war and who is behind peace.
By bluecross
deleted by bc
Last edited by bluecross on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TimHaley
bluecross wrote:
It is written that the Blessed Mother informed the visionaries that through prayer and fasting, one can stop wars
Wars occur daily – in the heart. My take on this message of Our Lady is that we fast and pray firstly to stop the wars in our own heart. That way we reduce the risk of countries going to war.

I have always felt that praying for peace in the world (that is an absence of countries at war) is grabbing the stick at the wrong end.

There are two kinds of peace. The peace the world offers, and the peace that Jesus Christ brings. Lasting peace is the kind brought by Jesus and by turning our hearts over to him. But as long as we are at war with ourselves in our own heart then the peace of Christ is not there.

Countries can be at peace with each other but the hearts of people can never be at peace until they surrender to accepting the peace that Christ wishes us to receive.

That is why Our Lady Queen of Peace is with us, to guide us towards this Peace.

And all of this starts within our own families. This is often the real war-zone for many people. Divorce stats are good proof of this and its consequences.

I never fear about what other countries might do to each other as I have always felt that the real enemy for all of us is within. Pointing the finger at others is often an excuse for our own failings and lack of peace in the heart.
Bluecross ...

Very insightful commentary on our Blessed Mother's words!

I wholeheartedly agree. In line with your point, what is the cause of war? It is the ego that drives selfishness, thirst for power, grandiosity, jealousy, envy, hatred and acquisition of material things. Ego driven behavior is the antithesis to the love that God wants us to exhibit to others.

From your comments, I realize now that this instruction by Our Lady was for us to pray and fast for ourselves (not necessarily others) that we may individually empty our ego and fill the void that is left with God's love for Him and others. We need to be at peace with those around us day-by-day. If we all were to do this then there would be no more war.

Thank you for the light you've brought to this often quoted statement by our Blessed Mother!

God Bless!

-Tim