Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Andy08
I've just read Sr. Emmanuel's book titled, Freed and Healed Through Fasting. I highly recommend this little book for anyone needing a little more motivation to fast. It's a small, easy to read, and short 88 page book, but it is great.

Thanks,

Andy
By Mt. Carmel
From a blog I came across:

Fasting is a challenge, yet greatly rewarding. As we learn in the School of Mary: "When we fast, we can ask for things that seem impossible. We can suspend the laws of nature. We can also discern."

May I suggest this Scripture that helped me survive the rigors of academia; these days, it helps me with fasting: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ~ Philippians 4:13

The more I read and learn, the more sense fasting makes. If my mind is as willing as my soul, my body is outvoted and is likelier to go along with the fasting program. These excerpts from Sr. Emmanuel's book, FREED AND HEALED THROUGH FASTING have been a help to me in staying focused. May they help you!

..."Jesus, we tried to expel that unclean spirit but we were unable. It just didn't work." And you know the answer of Jesus? "These demons can only be cast out through prayer and fasting."

Right off the bat, Sr. Emmanuel asks: "Have you noticed the correlation between giving up fasting in the West and being infested with Satan and his demons?" She writes: "Today, Satan can more easily penetrate various facets of society -- even coming within the confines of the Church, because when we do not fast, the protective doors are no longer locked."

"...if you fast, Satan won't be able to harm you or your family. I do not say you won't suffer because the cross is a cross. But one thing is different- you can suffer without being harmed. Jesus did suffer, but Satan never got a hold of Him to harm Him." Fasting is "spiritual insurance," says Sister Emmanuel. It halts evil from harming a person.

In 1992 ...message to Ivanka, Mary gives us the weapons to defeat Satan: "The weapons to defeat Satan are fasting and prayer. Pray for peace, Satan wants to destroy the little peace that you have".

...Only the Blood of Christ cleanses us from sin, but His Mother can repair the damages. By fasting, we invite the Blessed Mother to heal us so that we may be purified more quickly.

Yes, fasting is an act of wonderful mercy, especially when it is practised in secret. Only then does it become praiseworthy in its humility. "By all means, let your fasting remain secret and unknown to others." says Mary.

"LIttle children, the one who prays is not afraid of the future and the one who fasts is not afraid of evil," said the Virgin of Medjugorje.

"When we are not worried about eating, there is a free space where God comes to dwell as never before," writes Sister Emmanuel. "This is why those who fast have a special spiritual sensitivity and sharpness."

Peace and Love.
By Andy08
Mt. Carmel,

Well said. Thanks for taking the time to provide some excerpts from the book. You demonstrated it's great value.

Thanks again,

Andy
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Beautiful post Mt. Carmel - thank you!!! :D This book sounds like an absolute treasure.