Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Evania1
Hi friends!

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I just want to make sure I'm fasting in the way the Blessed Mother requests. Should the bread we eat be as basic as possible? I bake our bread, and sometimes I switch it up. It might have nuts or cranberries, or cinnamon for example. I'm not talking about fasting on breads like cinnamon rolls or doughnuts...just breads with fruits or nuts in them. Is this okay or not?
Thank you and God Bless!
By mamamary
hi evania1!

i believe any way you choose to do a bread fast, that you do prayerfully and with your whole heart is a wonderful way to fast. (of cousre, no doughnuts or cinnamon rolls! :lol: )

your bread recipe sounds great! in medjugorje, they have a favorite 'fasting bread' that is popular. here is the recipe. it sounds similar to yours:

http://www.medjugorje.org/sebreadrecipe.htm

i enjoy reserving a special bread for fasting days. i am not talented enough to make my own, but have found a simple round bread made of oats and multigrain. i purchase one of these loaves, cut it into chunks and freeze the rest for other fast days. when i saw the bread at our local bakery, it looked wholesome and reminded me of pictures i would see of bread and wine representing the body and blood of Christ. i thought it was fitting to have a special bread for these days. eating the bread reserved for these days makes it feel even more special to me.

your recipe sounds wonderful, most importantly, make it a special day for you and Jesus!
By Gullytale
Just read an article in newspaper this morning about the health benefits of fasting two days per week. This is not a religious paper at all in any way. Just health care stuff.

Cuts risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer. Makes common sense too - to give the body a rest from all the work it does digesting and processing. And time to rid itself of toxins and bi products, not always good ones, of digestion and metabolism.

So it does alter 'natural laws' and probably works at preventing war and disasters too.

It's not a 'penance' in sense of self denial really - but a spiritual, psychological and physical holistic health discipline.

So folks - keep at it.

Mother Mary gives wonderful advice for our bodies, minds, souls, families, societies and the world. :)