Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

Thanks for the information. The article says that Fr. Vlasic was the 'spiritual father of the six children' in 1981, but I do not view him that way. Care needs to be taken when reading his quotes from the older books published about Medjugorje.

Here is a portion of the translated article:
In Ghedi, in the province of Brescia, he founded the Fortezza dell'Immacolata sanctuary house, linked to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Universe, which between visions of UFOs and the conviction of the presence of life in other planets, had already ended up in the crosshairs of the Bishop of Brescia Pierantonio Tremolada who had started the procedure of excommunication completed today.

"In recent years, in the Diocese of Brescia and in other places, he has continued to carry out apostolic activities towards individuals and groups, both through conferences and through information technology" underlines a note from the Curia. According to the Diocese, the former Franciscan "continued to declare himself a religious and priest of the Catholic Church, simulating the celebration of invalid sacraments; he continued to cause serious scandal among the faithful, carrying out acts seriously damaging to ecclesial communion and obedience to 'Ecclesiastical authority ".

With the excommunication Tomislav Vlasic cannot take part in any way as a minister in the celebration of the Eucharist or any other ceremony of public worship, celebrate sacraments or sacraments and receive the sacraments, exercise functions in offices or ministries or any ecclesiastical assignments, or to place acts of government. "In the event that he intends to take part in the celebration of the Eucharist or any act of public worship - underlines the Brescia Curia -, he must be dismissed or the liturgical action must be interrupted, unless a serious cause is opposed".
After he left Medjugorje in the late 1980's and formed his own community , there was a confusing episode wherein it was reported that Marija supposedly said that his new community was created with the approval of Our Lady. Eventually, she retracted this statement.

This always seemed to me to be the start of his fall from grace, with him being laicized years later by Pope Benedict.

And now, this.
Sunday, February 28, 1982

"Thank Tomislav very much, for he is guiding you very well."
Then she smiles, and begins to say the Glory Be. "Go in the peace of God, my angels!"
Friday, June 3, 1983
Fr. Vlasic has begun to form a prayer group requested by the Virgin on May 25th. Jakov, Vicka, and Ivanka: What do you expect of Fr. Tomislav? Has he begun well? "Yes, it is good. Have him continue."
source: The Messages, medjugorje.org
I was reading the pray with the heart book of reflections of Vlasic and Fr. Barbaric from 1985. Fr. Barbaric's reflections were more spiritual, urging prayer and fasting. Vlasic's reflections were less so. It is a tragic case for Vlasic and for us because his actions tarnish the reputation of Medjugorje.
I have all four books in the series, and I agree with you, there is a noticeable difference in the tone of the homilies presented by the two priests, so much so that I hardly ever bothered reading any of Vlasic’s sermons.

Also, as I understood, Vlasic made a personal request to Pope Benedict XVI, asking to be laicised. It wasn’t forced on him by the Pope.

I don’t see him as having tarnished the reputation of Medjugorje. Thousands of people arrive there with all kinds of difficulties in their lives. As Fr Slavko once said (or was it Fr Svet?): “Everyone who comes to Medjugorje has needs; some more than others.”

However, I can’t help feeling that Vlasic may be one of the reasons why the Commission went only as far as accepting the first seven days of the phenomenon as lkely to be legit. Not quite sure when Vlasic arrived on the scene but he wasn’t around at the start. He obviously had a role in “guiding” the visionaries and locutionists in some way, reporting what Our Lady had said to them and prompting them to ask Our Lady questions on his behalf. And we shouldn’t forget that Vlasic was the priest who wrote to the Pope (requested, he said, by Marija to do so) and claimed that Our Lady’s apparitions would be her last on earth. He also claimed the letter was approved by the visionaries, Ivan in particular. Years later, Mirjana backtracked on the claim of last apparitions by saying three words were missing: “in this way”. Unfortunately, the claim of “last apparitions” is still being promoted by some Medjugorje followers to this day. As you said earlier, we must be careful about some of the early writings about Medjugorje.
bluecross wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:23 pm Not quite sure when Vlasic arrived on the scene but he wasn’t around at the start.
If I remember correctly, I think he arrived many months after the start of the apparitions, possibly in early 1982.
I know he wasn't there for the start.
Without the bishop's knowledge and approval, Father Vlasic moved from Capljina near the border with Croatia to Medjugorje as early as September 1981.

Source: Ante Luburic, Chancellor, Diocese of Mostar