Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

A lot of people have been sending me photos of the sun today in Medjugorje during the Youth Fest. Everyone there is seeing it apparently.

I had assumed it was just a natural "solar halo" until I saw this video from an eyewitness there:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152335907908576

The person would not have had time to doctor this video -- at least I don't think so. It was shot on a phone and uploaded today.

What do you think?

I had hoped to be there now but my broken foot is not conducive to overseas travel. Oh well, next year. :D
What I think? Thanks for asking again.

The halo is a miracle, God likes to play for people who believe.
it is a very rare circular rainbow. A reminder of the covenant.
Only appears when the sun is high and the clouds at a certain
distance

About the pulsing in the video, I feel that is the camera electronics.
If it is set for auto exposure, then the camera will detect too much light
when the camera detects too much light, a retroalimentation system
will shut down the sensitivity a bit to compensate for the over exposure.
When you aim at the sun the electronics will sense extreme over exposure
and as a result will send an extreme dimming signal to the image processor.
This extreme dimming signal will result in extreme under exposure and the
camera will react to that with another pulse to the image processor to open
up the exposure again. While also this signal is too strong, it will open
the sensitivity again too much and there will again be over exposure.
And the cycle starts over again, resulting in the "resumed" video down here.

Last edited by ActionReq on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for your insight, everyone.

I agree that a solar halo itself would likely be a natural event. I've seen them before in various places. But combined with a pulsing sun... that, to me, is more interesting.

Bluecross, the link you posted about the pulsation of the sun seems to be more about distant stars. I think we have all seen stars twinkling and pulsing in the night sky. But I haven't come across any scientific mention of our own sun pulsating as wildly as it is doing in this video. The article seems to indicate it would appear as something much more subtle, although of course I am no scientist. I can say I've spent a good portion of my life outdoors in the sun, and I've never seen it pulse.

So, to me, I would say it either has to be an issue with the camera or an actual event that science cannot explain (ie., supernatural).
I agree that a solar halo itself would likely be a natural event.
Don't underestimate your God! :lol:
When He thunders, the waters in the heavens roar;
He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth.
He sends lightning with the rain
and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

Och a little halo, just at the right moment.
An aureole for the people.
The miracle is in the circumstances.
Was there a halo at Waterford festival or Donegal or Limerick?
Please give the Lord a chance.
Don't shoot em down.
Interesting observations. Thank you.

A friend on Facebook pointed out that in yesterday's message Our Lady said "I am calling you to be my apostles of light."

Could "the lady clothed with the sun" be illustrating her point in a physical sign for all to see? :)
Consider that the 'miracle' is not that a solar ice halo can occur but rather that we find inspiration and beauty in it. God speaks to us in both natural and supernatural ways. The fact we perceive our environment and are moved by it is itself a miracle.
August 25, 2003
"Dear children! Also today I call you to give thanks to God in your heart for all the graces which He gives you, also through the signs and colors that are in nature. God wants to draw you closer to Himself and moves you to give Him glory and thanks.
My wife mentioned that one term that could be applied to this is a corona.

Corona is a form of the word crown.

Our Lady appears with a crown of stars.

The sun is a star.

Our Lady is also known as "the woman clothed with the sun."

I've always felt that God, in his subtle grandeur, reveals Himself to us through nature, often in symbolic ways. Given that this unique event coincided with the Youth Fest, that's what I'm going with. :)
bluecross wrote:Only it is not a unique event at Medjugorje, Sean. :) For certain, it’s happened at least once before. I saw it then.
Well, I would still call it unique. I just spent 8 weeks in Medjugorje, and I didn't see it happen. And altogether I've spent more than a year of my life there, and I've never seen it there. Some Medjugorje locals I talked to yesterday have never seen it before, until this.

It does happen in nature; I have seen it before. But I would still call it rare and unique. I've never seen a solar halo coinciding with pulsing, so, to me, that makes it more unique.

I fully agree that it is natural, and those who have been in Medugorje with me know that I dissuade anyone from looking at the sun... most of the time I think people are just burning their eyes enough so that the sun doesn't hurt them anymore. But I see no harm in considering the possibility that God in this instance used nature to convey a message to the thousands of young people praying together in Medjugorje. The timing and the pulsing is what makes it interesting to me.
Interesting story. Thank you.

Well, to me, the combination of the sun pulsing and having a halo at the same time seems unique, but it doesn't really matter. Nature put on a nice little show for the Youth Fest; whether it do so intentionally or not, no one will ever know. :)
Bluecross,

That's what appears in the video at the top of this page. Now, maybe the pulsing in the video is due to the brightness of the sun and the equipment's inability to handle it. But from what Sean said, it sounds like people are reporting they did see both at the same time. Did you get reports that both happened at the same time, Sean? That's what I understood and I've never heard of that happening before.

Jenn